Wednesday 31 August 2011

Where has the summer gone?

I cannot believe that we are now into September and I haven't seen much of the sun this summer! I am a spring person; I love the daffodils and the tulips and the first smell of cut grass, but I do like to see the sun during the summer months even though I cannot be out in it for very long. The autumn and winter will drag on for me I fear this time. Still, I have managed to keep my heating off until the last two days of August (and then only for about an hour), so that just has to be a bonus.  I would rather go without food than without heat so you can imagine my pain!  Is it too early to wish for spring already.....?

This last month has seen some horrible things happening in this beautiful land of mine (I can't say "ours" because I have a varied audience of many different countries), and much recriminating about all sorts.  The "riots" were, in my opinion, nothing more than mindless thugs and opportunists and that is all I have to say about that!  However, what did bring joy to my heart was the pulling together of communities and others to help clear up the mess. We might have our problems but when the going gets tough, the tough get going!

I don't read the newspapers much (a once a week treat on a Saturday is to read a paper in bed) and rarely watch the news, so my only source of information of any kind is the radio, so if my opinions are a little "off" from the normal rank and file then I apologise in advance.  There is only so much one can glean from two minutes several times a day!  However, as those that know me can testify, I have an opinion on everything - even if it is wrong!  So here goes....

All the current "troubles" have been blamed on various people - the police, the government,and  all those in between.  Some even dared mention that it is family responsibility to which the response was that we need parenting classes, schools should be teaching properly, etc. etc.  All of these do have some part to play, and some families do need parenting skills taught to them, but have we not lived for several thousand years without the need for any ones help in rearing children to grow up into law abiding and respected adults?  Yes I guess that there were sections of societies in our history that saw the same type of mindless behaviours but surely the buck stops with the parents?  We can blame everyone else but it is the parents who have allowed their children out late at night, that have allowed them to run amok and not be disciplined, have cited human rights acts if someone dares to chastise or correct.  Have we completely lost all our senses?

The Human Rights Act was made law for a reason, and I totally accept that it is vital that people have the right to humane treatment in some circumstances, but to say that a clip round the ear is infringing their rights is absolute nonsense!  Before you all start tearing down my castle (a castle in my dreams anyway!), some will always overstep the mark between discipline and cruelty or abuse.  They always have and they always will.  But the majority of parents, police officers, school teachers, are great people  who just want to be able to correct children and in a way that stops them from doing it again. A slap on the back of bare legs certainly hurts, but it isn't life threatening and in lots of of cases, once the child knows that they can't get away with it, they simply stop doing it. Don't get me wrong; I am not condoning abuse, but discipline done correctly never hurt anyone. 

Why do we have to make everything so hard?  It is basic common sense that children need boundaries; we don't need a concerned government minister to tell us the right and wrong way to bring up children.  It is inherent in us and if used properly, children turn out okay.  Parents on the other hand, really need to learn that it is their responsibility and no one else to teach their children right from wrong, and good from bad .  Taught at an early age too, and continued into young adulthood.  All this is not rocket science and it is not just a scourge amongst the poor.  Bad parenting is classless.  I blame it on the permissive sixties myself; that is when the rot really started and it has taken fifty years for it all to blow up in our faces.  I suspect that it will take another fifty years before we can get parents to accept that their behaviour will be accepted as "normal" for their offspring so they need to tidy up their acts.



I cannot believe how many question I have posed in this blog!  Should I be using this forum to make my opinions known?  Should I just stick to the boring things that I may or may not have done the month before?  Should I just shut up and get on with life?  Should I continue......?  More to the point, do you think I should continue on my quest to route out all the ills, to put the world to rights and generally make a nuisance of myself to my captive audience?

I need to go now before I really annoy someone and then they won't  love me anymore - or perhaps they will still love me tomorrow?

That's it! I am gone for another month........ Catch me later if you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment