Monday 1 June 2020

ALL LIVES MATTER BUT...

As members of the human race, all lives matter.  I have watched and read and listened to much over the last few days after the senseless death of George Floyd. Many social media posts have claimed that "All Lives Matter" and even some of my friends have made the same remark.  Yes, all lives matter but in this instance it is for George Floyd, who was black. 

I am white, female, working class and recognise that I am therefore privileged. I also live in England in a town that is mainly white. I am lucky that I have not had many instances in my life where I have been scared about my safety, but in those few times I have felt my heart racing and had genuine fear. I have no idea how black people feel simply going about their lives in a predominantly white world. And I feel disappointed in myself that I haven't asked that question. I have black friends but I have never thought that their lives might be so different from mine. I feel that I have failed them and I am heartsick that white people still think that people of colour are to be feared and treated differently.

I have seen harrowing footage of police cars ramming into protestors; a policeman kicking someone sitting in silent protest and a child pepper sprayed. I have also watched as police officers have walked with protestors, prayed with them and hugged them. I have seen footage of protestors - black and white - who have looted and vandalised shops and buildings. I recognise that some of the protestors are deliberate antagonists that cause people to frenzy who then become herd like but I have always believed that a peaceful protest would do more good than a violent one. People in power are more disposed to listen to someone calm rather than someone ranting and raving.  How we get to that point whereby leaders will do something to make a change I have no idea, and it makes me sad that probably nothing will change.

Racial prejudice has been around for ever. Whites have caused terrible suffering to black people down through the ages. Why? Just because they don't look like you? I don't look like you either, but you don't have some indescribable hatred or fear toward me that makes you want to treat me as of lesser worth, as dross, as not a human being or hurt me first before I have the chance to hurt you.

I have no idea whether anything good will come from the death of George Floyd.  I have no idea what I can do to help make the world a better place. I feel pretty useless right now. I have cried many tears over the death of George and the following unrest. It's been hard trying to put my thoughts onto paper and in a cohesive manner, but I knew that it had to be done. If I don't stand up and be counted and say loud and clear that BLACK LIVES MATTER then I don't deserve to be known as a follower of Jesus Christ. It's the least I can do and I'm sorry that I can't do much more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment