Tuesday 28 January 2020

Only short but important to me.....

The world is going crazy and I, for one, want to get off.  I'm fed up with people and their behaviour; those who think that because they can, will, and without any doubt that such behaviour is acceptable because they are rich, famous, big, strong etc., more than the average person trying to make their way in this world.

The acting profession is full of talented people. As such they can be, e.g., wonderful role models, ambassadors for charities and champions for children.  What they shouldn't be is foul mouthed and happy to speak and write obscenities in every sentence they use. I follow a few famous people on social media (I know, I can't help it, so there's no harm done other than wasting my time) and my friends follow others and then share, so I get to see and hear a lot of things that I probably wouldn't if I had a modicum of common sense. Some of the actors I have had the misfortune to read have used obscenities that would have been totally unacceptable only a couple of years ago. What do they think they gain by showing themselves as nothing more than foul mouthed? Will it gain them more fans? Do they think that just because everyone is doing it that it makes it right? Several famous people are known for their bad language. Not much of an accolade is it? Others regularly write such obscenities that it should make our hair curl. Does it? Well it does mine, that's for sure. Am I an old fuddy duddy who needs to get a life? Probably, but I am also someone who grew up loving to read and write and was smitten with the likes of Jane Austen, C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien.  My English teachers would have washed my mouth out with soap (metaphorically speaking) and failed my stories if I had written one word that was even mildly "swearing". To my mind, it speaks volumes inasmuch that those who are famous, or at least well known, have such low levels of English speaking ability (it probably happens in all languages but I can only understand one) that they can only resort to using words of four letters. 

I have written about actors but I could say the same for anyone who has a public profile - sports stars and singers also make it to the top of the list.

Is this a sign of the times? Of things to come? I hope not. The big question is, what do we, you, I do about it? Should we ignore it and get on with more important matters in our lives? Should we make a stand, publicly and loudly, or should we just do our little bit and "unfollow" them (so to speak) from social media, press and television? The choice is ours. 

I'm happy to receive comments although any that are in any way offensive  or derogatory will be deleted.







No comments:

Post a Comment