Monday 16 September 2013

A narrow escape.....

I can't believe that I am even writing about this, but last night I had the most horrible experience.
 
I was just about to turn my light out and go to sleep when out the corner of my eye something caught my attention.  On closer inspection there was the biggest arachnid that I had even seen in my house - and right by my pillow to boot!  I best just explain here that I sleep on the floor and I am not kidding when I say "right by my pillow".  Panic took hold for a second and then adrenalin kicked in and I went and turned my large light on - to get a better view - and there he sat, right by my skirting board - and about three inches from my face if I had laid down.
 
Unless you are scared by these creatures, one cannot begin to even wonder what went through my mind. To be honest I can't even remember myself. What exactly does one do when living alone?  In the past I have called on my father and a neighbour, but this time I was completely on my own.  My only recourse was to kill it.  I can hear you all tut tutting even as I write this, but believe me when I tell you it was survival of the fittest and although I know that I shouldn't kill any of God's creature, he simply had to go. An admission of truth here is that I ALWAYS kill anything like that which enters my house; I cannot function knowing that one is wandering around with complete impunity whilst I have a panic attack in the corner!
 
 
This was actually harder than it first looked as the darned thing was right up against the skirting and so I couldn't just flatten him as had been my first intention.  I gingerly moved away all objects that might impede my mission and then proceeded to hit him with the closest thing to hand - a small pocket crossword book (nice and bendy to get over the problem thus stated).  I killed him but had to make doubly sure by hitting him more than once.  This did result in a bit of a mess (one amputated leg stuck to the skirting board) but it had to be done.  Picking up the dismembered body is not something I want to repeat anytime soon; even through a tissue I could feel it.  I felt sick..... 
 
Upshot of all this is that although I was tired and ready for bed, there was no way that I could sleep after an ordeal like that.  Good job I don't drink alcohol or I would have headed straight for the bottle.  Nearing midnight I finally deemed it safe enough for me to try to go to bed again.  I thought that I might have bad dreams but was surprised to find that I didn't. Woke up feeling fine this morning but am really beginning to wilt as the day progresses.
 
I have spent the rest of the day looking in every nook and cranny, at floor and ceiling to see if I can see any more of his family.......  
 
Here ends my little tale of woe which I thought I would share.  Please be advised that should any of you feel kind enough to comment and then give me your horrible tales, I shall, without compunction, delete the comment without reading past the first line. You have been warned!
 
Bit afraid of going to bed tonight.
 
Susan
 


No comments:

Post a Comment