Wednesday 1 May 2013

Is It Spring Yet? continued.........

 Once upon a time there was winter, and it went on and on and on and on.  Suddenly the time came that spring said "Enough is enough!" and threw off the shackles of a depressingly cold, long and hard winter and decided to come forth in a blaze of glory - well almost......
 
Spring has come in dribs and drabs this year. Over the last few years we have seen daffodils forcing their way through frozen ground in February and by the end of March they have all but disappeared.  This year there was nothing  at all until a few of the hardier (or foolish) ones decide to put in an appearance during March.  It has only really been this last month (April)that the majority of the daffodils have made an entrance, even then they have been decimated by the sudden overnight frosts that have turned many into sad, brown tinged from frost burn, specimens of their former selves.   Tulips have put in an appearance too and add splashes of colour to gardens.  When I went to my temple a week ago, there were the most massive salmon pink coloured ones that I have ever seen; and up against the white walls of the Visitors Centre, the effect was dazzling (especially as it was the first day of sunshine and warmth seen for many weeks) and took my breath away, along with the glorious burst of colour from the flower beds all around the temple.  I am not a gardener so I don't know many of the plants, but I saw beautiful orange coloured dwarf tulips and I think there were primulas that boasted a great range of colours that it looked like someone had thrown a paint palette over the beds. I could never explain just how beautiful they looked, so I guess you will have to use your imagination; I can't put a photo of the flowers on here as I don't have a camera or even a phone that can take pictures, so very sorry.  But I can try and find a photo from elsewhere just to give you an idea.....


 
 



 
I hope you can imagine beds of these - aren't they pretty?
 
This week we have had a couple of days where the sun has shone all day, but, I have to say that it is still cold.  I tell you, if it doesn't warm up soon, I will cry!  Yesterday, my friend and I decided that it would be a good idea to sit outside and have our lunch.  Minutes after sitting down, the sun went behind a cloud, then the wind blew along the side of the house and we thought that perhaps it was not such a brilliant plan.  However, stalwarts that we are, we stoically sat there munching on our food as we waited for the sun to reappear.  We weren't disappointed, but we must have looked a bit odd, especially as I had my coat on.  Anyone who knows me well will know that I am one of the coldest mortals on the planet, so I thought I was very brave, but I was  happy to go back indoors.  I was even happier to sit in my car a short while later and thaw out, with my hands drawing heat from the steering wheel and the sun shining through the glass. I kept the windows well and truly shut until I was about a mile or two from home.  How sad am I?  The irony of all that is that I don't like it too hot either - you just can't win with some people.....
 
I moved my computer the other week.  It didn't go far but just a few inches to the right which meant that it wasn't sitting in the middle of my window.  I can't actually remember now why I did move it, but it has thrown an entirely different perspective on what I can see as I sit busily typing (or having a sneaky look at face book).  I can't honestly say that the view is any better; I look out onto a main road with traffic lights right outside and a pelican crossing too, which always makes it look like people are staring into my window rather than waiting for the red man to change to green.  However, because I have moved it, I can now see people walking further along the path just a couple of steps from my window.  This has had an unfortunate side effect of me thinking that someone is coming to the door, when in truth they are just cutting the corner off.  Very distracting at times and enough to make me lose my train of thought.  Well that is what I am telling myself anyway.  It also means that I can see the people coming and going in the new Aldi supermarket which finally got built after a three or four year wait.  Not very awe inspiring, but hey, at least I can see people.
 
Talking of people (well loosely but what else do you expect from me?), I wonder why more people are happy to say "Good morning" or smile at you at six o'clock than at more civilised times of day?  I am assuming that they feel a kinship to someone who is out and about at a time when most are in bed, or certainly still in their homes. A sort of fellowship for those that have to, or choose to, be out at ridiculous hours of the morning. 

I have just made a momentous decision and will be spending some of my money on a personal trainer again.  I had this particular trainer way back in about 2008 (and for two years after) and have seen him on and off on an ad hoc basic since 2010, but now I know that I need to get back into the swing of things and have someone kick me back into exercise and healthy eating mode.  Not that I am doing badly, but I have let things slide a little since my Dad was ill and passed away last year.  So I might well be writing my next blog on how I am doing.  The plan of action is twice a week for a couple of months and then down to weekly sessions in the gym (except his is called an exercise and rehabilitation centre!) and a rigorous at home set of exercises, plus a very healthy eating regime (I don't like the word "diet", I much prefer to say that I am eating better).  He is putting a plan together for me and will finalise it after I have seen him again to have an assessment as to my capabilities. That assessment is actually going to happen tomorrow and I have already been booked in for the next two weeks.  I am really excited about all this and feel motivated enough to get it done.  Mind you, spending money is motivation enough as I don't want to waste it all!. 

Right now I need to stop and get myself some lunch, but just before I go, here are a few pictures that will sum up my changing lifestyle.

Take care and until next time.

Susan

This is what I would like to look like.....
This is how I am going to achieve it........

This is me thinking "why on earth did I start this".................

This is what I probably look like.....



And this is just plain funny.......





 
 

 

 
 
 









 

No comments:

Post a Comment