Tuesday 1 February 2011

ONE WOMAN'S VIEW OF LIFE NUMBER 6

January, a time to make resolutions that we break by the end of the month and an impending  realisation that winter is still here for the duration.  And then comes February and suddenly there is hope on the horizon!  Don't know about you, but, although we still have seven weeks to go before it is, technically at least, spring, I am beginning to undergo an anticipation of things to come.  For me the first of March is spring and no amount of you telling me otherwise will dissuade me from it. Even as I write this I can feel that spring is closer than I am daring to hope. Take, for instance, this morning. Driving along and the sun was shining and suddenly I was overcome with the feeling that spring is so close that I could almost touch it! It was just a beautiful moment and one that I can cherish until the real thing comes along.  Of course this didn't last because three hours later it started to rain and then to pour!  The variances of the British weather!

I am pleased that I am managing to get through the winter much better than I had dared hope.  Usually I want to hibernate completely, but this time I haven't felt quite so bad.  Is it because I am now working for myself and not having to go out in the cold or early in the mornings?  Or because I am now practising what I am preaching and my glass is half full and not half empty?  I guess that it is a bit of both. But whilst I am pleased with my well being thus far, it has not been all plain sailing.  I have managed to stay upright in all the snow and the ice, only to fall over right outside my front door just days ago!  I hurt my pride more than my body, but I successfully forced grit into my finger and ended up with a bump on my head which I didn't know was there until the next day. If I told you that I live right on top of a set of traffic lights, with a pedestrian crossing too, you can appreciate my embarrassment.  I scuttled indoors and refused to come out until the coast was completely clear!  All I will say on the subject is that it takes great skill to trip over nothing!

So now I am looking forward with great excitement to a spring that will bring beautiful flowers, trees throwing off the shackles of winter and blossoming into pink and fluffy cotton wool balls and birds singing the dawn chorus with gusto. I can't wait, and plan to be out and about as soon as possible so I can be rejuvenated and re-energised for the coming year.  I love the spring; I think I have mentioned that before, but I just can't help it! 

If you are like me and love the changing season of winter into spring, I will leave you to go and see if you can spot the first snow drops and crocus.  Are we not truly blessed with a season that comes to life with so much colour and vitality?  Life is great and as it gets warmer it will be even better. Say goodbye to winter this month and embrace the coming spring and I will see you next month. 

No comments:

Post a Comment