Sunday 7 July 2013

There's nowt so queer as folk......

This morning as I went out for my early morning walk, the sun was attempting to push through the high cloud cover which turned the sky a pale blue.  As I am writing this, the sun is now shining brightly with wispy clouds hanging nonchalantly in the air as if waiting for something.  The wind, which has sporadically been vehement in its ferocity over the last couple of weeks has abated and the passing cars are casting dark shadows across the road.  Today is a good day to do all sorts of things.


I often wonder about people when I am out pounding the streets, actually I wonder about people all the time, but when one hasn't got anything better to do than people watch, then it inevitably begs the questions.  Here's a question; why are folk more forward in saying "Good morning" or even attempting a little chit chat, when there are so few people about?  Are we so reserved in this southern end of the country that we are reticent to talk to people when others are around, for fear that we shall be accused of something?  And what about eye contact?  Well I could go on forever about that subject, but I promise that I will control myself and just say a few things.

Whatever the time of day, few people give eye contact in passing.  Is this some throw- back to the days of cave men and the like whereby a glance could be construed as threatening behaviour?  Are men worse than women in not looking at the opposite sex just in case they are suddenly hauled in front of a judge for what they might have been thinking?  Does looking at someone directly and having that eye contact constitute a threat, a mark of dis-respect or  is it just not polite to stare?  Do we not look at people just in case that they might lash out in verbal or physical abuse?  "There's nowt so queer as folk" is a very apt description.

Yesterday I was at a sisters day at church and one of the classes that was on offer was self defence.  Bearing in mind that I had the choice of that or craft making, zumba or no cook baking, I thought that the former would definitely be the better option.  It was certainly interesting to watch the male tutor interact with the females - and vice versa.  He was a lovely man and it was interesting to discover how I could get out of a sticky situation, but I am not a very tactile person (not to mention a bit of a dodgy back which I used as a very convenient excuse) so I was more than happy to just sit and watch and listen.  That in itself would have made a people watcher, body language expert or psychologist get in a bit of a flutter and come up with all sorts of reasons as to why I sat out. 
 

I have to admit now that this blog has been sitting on my computer for nigh on three weeks!  I have no excuse other than I have been extremely busy, but I have had time here and there to get it finished and published. I could come up with lots of excuses but I haven't really got any; if that makes me more human then I am happy to go along with that and prove that I am just like everyone else.....  So, this is probably going to be my shortest blog ever, but if I don't get it out now I shall be so behind that I will end up missing a month and that would just be disastrous - wouldn't it?

However, just before I go, I am going to leave you with a wonderful idea that I heard at the same sisters day yesterday.  We had an awesome speaker who talked about what we could do in one minute.  And do we ever stop for a minute and ponder about things?  He said some great things but the possibilities are endless and it really made me think about my life and the speed that I choose you rush through it.

I would be interested to hear your comments and thoughts on that, or anything that I have written here.

See you all soon.....

Susan









 

No comments:

Post a Comment