Monday 28 January 2013

Snow......

Last weekend we had snow.  I don't like it. People seem to be fascinated by it. The whole place grinds to a halt. It turns to slush and ice. I manage to stay upright. Eventually it goes.
 
I think that pretty well sums up my whole snow experience over the last few days.  As you might have guessed, I am not the greatest  snow lover. I can sit happily watching snow fall and seeing it lay a blanket of white over all the ugly things like rubbish bins  and allow them to pretend, if only for a short while, that they are beautiful as well as useful. I like the quietness that a covering of snow brings; how all sounds are deadened and there is an eerie silence. Of course this is more than likely simply due to less traffic and fewer people around, but let's not burst the bubble of idyllic bliss.

The snow started falling on  the Friday, but before then there had been heavy frosts in the mornings that looked just like snow.  That Friday, I needed to go out in my car and my intention was to start later than normal as I wanted the frost to have disappeared before I set off. I was more than pleasantly surprised when I saw that not only was there no snow, but no frost either. I was overjoyed that I didn't have to scrape my car (I know, little things please me) and so I left about my usual time.  I wanted to go and do what I had to do and get back home before it snowed.  Well, that didn't quite happen but the snow was more sleet than anything and there really wasn't very much of it when I did make the journey home. It was overcast and miserable all day, and I think I can say the same for Saturday, except for some reason I can't remember a lot about the weather  or even the day. I have sat here for a few moments to think about the day, and anything extraordinary, or even downright mundane, but no, I just have to concede that I can't remember a thing about Saturday....  However, I do remember Sunday.

On Sunday I checked the weather twice, once about five when I first woke, and then again about seven and there was no snow. Hurrah I though, I should be able to go to church.  I would just point out the the chapel itself and thus the car park too, is accessed only by a very steep incline (or very dodgy steps that appear to tilt downwards as you walk down them which is very disconcerting).  In fact, now that I come to think about it, it could very well be a Hobbit chapel as you can barely see it from the road....but I digress.  I had started to get myself ready for church but was then suddenly overcome with nausea. That was it, for the rest of the day I was feeling sick every time I moved.  In hindsight, I realised that I was suffering a migraine without the headache, which, on a scale of one to ten, was probably better than feeling sick and having the headache.  When I did venture from my bed and looked out the window (my curtains were still drawn until quite late in the morning), it was snowing and obviously had been for some time.  In fact, it snowed all day on Sunday except that, because it wasn't huge flakes, it didn't bury us in feet of the stuff.  I suppose three or four inches covered the ground by the time it finally stopped. 

That was it really; the buses were still running  and the next day I had to go into town - a prospect that I was not really looking forward to - people were wandering about with sledges and the lady and her little daughter opposite me had  built a huge snowman complete with red scarf.  The amazing thing is that I actually managed to get into town and out again without falling over or sliding.  I guess that because so many people had an un-official day off the snow was still firm enough to walk on and had not, at that hour of the day (it was about a quarter to nine in the morning), become compacted and icy.

That was the extent of the snow in my little corner of the world.  I noticed that the snowman had mysteriously found himself a son or daughter that stood proudly next to his/her Dad until the thaw set in and the snowman lost his head in a rather unseemly fashion.  The child too disappeared almost without trace once the sun decided to put in an appearance.

As I am writing this, the sun is again shining and I feel that I should go out for a walk or do something outside rather than be cooped up in this flat with no fresh air. I do think that is what I should do..... what I will do..... when I have just finished this..... maybe..... perhaps....  Woman, get a grip.  Just go and do.........  Have just remembered that I should be waiting in for a phone call......  They will leave a message if I am not here......

So, here ends my missive about the snow.

Just a little thought to end with: if you have a cluttered house, the chances are you have a cluttered mind too.









No comments:

Post a Comment