Wednesday 1 June 2011

ONE WOMAN'S VIEW OF LIFE, JUNE 2011

I am not sure how many of you spotted my deliberate mistake in the heading last month - I gave it the wrong number - so I am going to use the months instead, that way I will know exactly where I am!  And I thought I was doing so well too.... :)

Mulling over a few things this month so this might be a mix of eclectic nothingness or a sober and staid report on the price of fish. Let's just see where my wanderings take me.

I heard a phrase some months ago that said that there is no such thing as coincidences, only God working anonymously. Now I love that because it is something that I do truly believe; many a time I have been amazed at the way things "just happen" to fall together at the right time.  Last week I met, quite by chance (or coincidence!) a lady who could be the answer to a prayer of mine regarding my business. I met her again today and came home to find a message from someone who could also be a business partner - and along the same lines as the lady I had just left. Coincidence, luck, chance, or God?  You tell me, but I am happy enough to accept that God plays a big part in my life and He knows when and if I need a helping hand. The idea that God is somehow responsible for all those strange quirks of fate in our lives is just not believable to some, and yet I often wonder if there really is such a thing as a coincidence.  I am not sure that there is a right or wrong answer to that one; I am pretty sure that some can be explained away mathematically or scientifically, but others - well lets say that although I am open to persuasion, I like the idea that God is helping me, and I am very grateful for the "coincidences" that are put in my way.

Why is motivation such a hard thing to achieve? And why do some people have it in spades, whilst others, like me, have to work to achieve the self motivation and belief that should be a given? I  like to think that I am now fairly motivated in the things that I do or want to achieve, but I do recognise that I have to work at it much more than some. And I am still a work in progress as I can sometimes think of a million excuses for not doing something that I should be doing, both in my business and my leisure activities.  Are we born with those skills or do we learn them as we are growing up?  Does the  parents ability to be motivated or otherwise have anything to do with it?  Certainly I think that it is a learned skill, inasmuch that if you grow up around people that are motivated then it must rub off on you, and I also think that in some way it is an innate talent that some have. I do know that if I was a motivated as I keep telling others that they need to be, then I would be very, very rich by now!   That makes me think of the old adage, "Don't do as I do, do as I say"!

Today the sky is blue with little white fluffy clouds, yesterday I missed being caught out in a hailstorm by minutes; what is it with the weather?  We could say that it is typical British weather, but the same sort of thing is happening all over the world.  Is this because of global warming, and thus is all our own fault, or is it a sign of the things to come?  I vaguely remember hearing a couple of weeks ago about a man who predicted the end of the world was nigh- and it didn't happen; and then we have the Mayan prophecies saying that the end is in 2012 (twelfth of December if I am not mistaken).  Do we believe the Bible that tells us categorically that the signs of the end of the world, as we know it now, are turmoil and earthquakes and changing seasons and weather, or do we believe that this is all just natural phenomena?  Some of it can certainly be explained away; I mean, the Earth is so old that it must be creaking at the seams by now and so thus we have the quakes and tremors which then can trigger awful Tsunami's, and of course we have the hole in the ozone layer - all of our own making - which means that some places are becoming hotter than normal. But what about all the other things that we see and hear around us every day?  Wars and rumours of wars, catastrophic economic climate and people behaving with no morals or ethics, greedy and just plain bad.  When will it all end?  Do we have a part to play in our own destiny or is it preordained that this is what will happen - and that it will get worse before it gets better?  With my firm Christian belief I know that all the things happening in the world today are a sign of things to come, and will get worse.  But I also believe that we can do a lot to make things a little better. If we stand up for what we believe in, if we make a stand against the onset of things that we know are wrong, if we make and do committed acts of service, we can change the world. If we all did a little bit of good in the world today, wouldn't it be a better place?  We might not be able to control the weather but we can certainly control things that are happening in our little corner, whether it be in England, America or some tiny island.

Now that I have mumbled and grumbled on, trying to put the world to rights, I am off to have some lunch and I promise that I will not mention how much my grocery bill has gone up over the last few months.  I will leave that little nugget for another time.......

No comments:

Post a Comment