Wednesday 11 December 2013

That's life I guess......

Sometimes, I think.  Most times I just "do" without the thinking part.  It can get very tricky. Whilst out and about on my travels I see and hear some wonderful things.  Sometimes they are not so wonderful but life likes to  throw some curve balls.  Take for instance this morning.  I woke up feeling absolutely fine and yet three hours later I had pains in my stomach which  made me feel sick.  I am still feeling like that as I write, but other than hugging the toilet bowl there is not a lot I can do other than sleep.  Now that I could probably do without any problem.

Life teaches us so much.  Over the last few months, due to something completely out of my control, I have had to learn to be more patient than is normal for me.  And only this morning, I dropped a friend off at the top of a very narrow road with a brick wall or fences down one side and cars parked down the other. Now this road is notorious as a rat run cut through and I had the misfortune to turn into it behind a big white van.  (If I knew exactly what type of white van it was, I would be happy to tell you, but my knowledge of anything even remotely mechanised/motorised or electrical is strictly limited.)   This said van was determined to get down this road but there just happened to be a smaller version of a white van (are you beginning to see a pattern here?) blocking its progress.  Unfortunately for me the road is only one way so I couldn't execute a perfect three point turn and go out the way I had come in. Fortunately this van had inched down the road just far enough for me to turn down an unadopted little road, full of potholes and shingle but wide enough for me to squeeze through.
 
The irony of all this (is it is now several days later - and you will be pleased to know that my feeling unwell only lasted twenty four hours and I am back to normal, whatever that may be) - is that yesterday practically the same thing happened.  I had gone to pick up someone for a meeting and was already fifteen minutes late (thick fog and queues of traffic) when I turned into her road and was confronted by a dust cart.  I was just about to carefully edge around it when it pulled out with no indication and stopped right in the middle of the road (there were cars parked). At that point there was no way then that I could possibly get around the vehicle so I had to sit behind it for nearly seven minutes.  I was fifty yards from my friends house but was powerless to do anything as I didn't have her phone number with me.  I am utterly convinced that the driver of the dust cart saw me; for goodness sake they have huge wing mirrors so that they can see the men working behind the vehicle, and I could have so easily been furious.  I have to admit that I was for a while, but as there was nothing I could do other than wait, I decided that I had to do just that and not get riled up.  Didn't do my stress levels any good at all though as I hate being late. The good news is that everyone waited for us to arrive before they started the meeting and a good time was had by all at the little gathering of sisters from my church, where we ate too many mince pies and shortbread and had lovely hot chocolate whilst singing carols and having a general natter. Actually I don't like mince pies nor "hot choc", but everyone else did and I stoically refrained from eating too many pieces of shortbread.
 
 

hot choc didn't quite look like this...

 

and I would like to think we looked and sounded like this...

 
but the shortbread was definitely like this! Yummy.
 
 
I must stop and get this posted so that I have a chance of putting another blog up before Christmas......
 
Susan xx
 
 








No comments:

Post a Comment